Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Tribe

I travelled today from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port, the traditional starting point for El Camino Frances.  Standing in line to buy my ticket for the bus to St Jean I could identify pilgrims in line with me.  Then when I loaded my pack onto the luggage compartment of the bus, I could see it was full of packs, as the bus was full of pilgrims.

And I had this sudden sense of recognition--this is my tribe. For the next few weeks, anyway, these are my people.  It was a profoundly moving moment for me.  The American woman in front of me on the bus, traveling with her husband to celebrate their 40th anniversary, asked in concern and some admiration, youre travelling alone?  And I looked around and said, Oh no, I travel with all of you!

1 comment:

  1. i can relate to those feelings. yes, you do feel like you are moving with those fellow pilgrims as if we were all walking with our tribe.

    I have been there twice. just started writing about my experience recently on my blog ThoughtTavern.com.

    all the very best to you. you are going to enjoy and learn a lot on the Camino. I just know it.

    Buen Camino,
    SamyakJaya

    ReplyDelete