Friday, February 11, 2011

Shape Up Rene'

I've been obsessing over every ounce that I will take in my pack for El Camino.  One extra pair of pants or two?  Two extra shirts or just one? Is there anyway that I can include a teeny-weeny container of blush and a tube of mascara, weighing less than 2 oz each?

I realized that it didn't make a lot of sense to fret about every ounce that will go in my pack and totally ignore all the extra pounds I'm carrying around on my hips and thighs.
This realization came about the same time as I had my annual physical and learned that my cholesterol level had gone from barely acceptable to "you're going to have to do something about this."  (Note to self: Do not have cholesterol test in December after six weeks of eating cookies, pies, candy, and other goodies.)  If I can't get my cholesterol down by diet, I'll have to go on medication. I do not want to go on medication.

So when I saw the Shape Up Omaha sign in the Y, I was interested.  Modeled on The  Biggest Loser, participants are on a team that work with a personal trainer and dietician to get in shape and lose weight.  While I've been feeling pretty good about my workouts, I have such a hard time eating healthily on a consistent basis.  I need a mommy to yell at me and tell me to eat my vegetables. Shape Up Omaha sounded like it might just be the thing--and was delighted to find out that my friend Kimberly had already signed up.

So starting this past Monday, every weekday morning we drag ourselves out of bed before 5:00 AM so we can make it to the Y by 5:30 AM.  I try to get in a 2-hour workout most days--have to work on stamina for those long days of walking! 
Meanwhile, I've been writing down every morsel that goes into my mouth.  It's so annoying, but keeping a food diary really does make a difference.  Did you know that those mini-corn muffins at Jason's Deli are 105 calories EACH?  They're miniscule--and I used to eat 3 or 4 of them! I'm still in sticker shock from that unpleasant little discovery--as well as a few others.  
 First weekly weigh in next Monday.  Thank heavens this is BEFORE Valentine's dinner splurge.
 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your training but me persoanlly I like a woman with extra junk in her trunk. Is that pic on your post real? where did you get the pic? I like it!

    ReplyDelete